Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 10, 2011

NOVEMBER 10th, 2011 Thursday

-10*C this morning at 6:00a.m.  Yesterday morning (same time) it was 0*C. 

Our  running schedule hasn't been too great. We ran the day before yesterday at -10*C, We didn't run yesterday at 0*C and we ran this morning again at -10*C.

There was a noticeable breeze (headwind) when running West this morning.  Went out 83 as far as the boulevard lights (at Ash Avenue).  Then back to Main Street and out as far as Northern Specialties, then to Tim's for coffee at 7a.m.  Home by 7:25a.m. 

Wore a fleece vest over my shell this morning.  That worked good.  I wasn't too warm or felt overdressed.  The first -10*C run I had a long sleeve base layer, a t-shirt and then a shell.  I could feel the cold.  Vest over top did the trick. 

Wind is always a factor.  It makes it a lot cooler; a wind chill.  AND, it's tougher to run against; more resistance. 

It's nice running in Town in the morning darkness:
  • There is more structure to break winds.
  • There are street lights.
  • There is some bare asphalt.


Duct tape runners, stretchy, thick wool socks  feels good in the runners - almost like another insole.  I thought they'd make a too tight fit but my runners are well broken. In the past, I have usually bought a new pair of runners right after the 1/2 Marathon.  But this year, I held off buying a new pair and decided to wear the old ones longer.  I haven't decided yet what to buy for runners this year.  I have run in pretty much all the brand name runners; mostly in Brooks.   I think I'd like to try a different type of runner all together this time.  One that is not as tight molded or strong.  I think there are runners on the market now that allow the foot to preform like it is designed to preform without all the air and gel supports and arch support and pronation correctness, etc.    Just a plain pair of runners that will let the foot go to work.  Running shoes are a big business.  The first two pages in the  Canadain Running November Issue is an Adidas  advertisement.  And running shoe adds continue thru the whole magazine. 

Tomorrow is November 11th and there isn't any noon hour hockey and so I think I'll go for a run in the morning in daylight. I am going to be a the Arena Parking Lot (if anybody wishes to join me) at 8:30a.m. I would like to do a one hour run which would be (for me) a six miler (10k). 

Keep give'n'er,
gk

No comments: